The Vice President for Academic Affairs and Strategic Initiatives serves as the Chief Academic Officer at the University and provides executive leadership, management and oversight of educational policy and academic programs. The Vice President for Academic Affairs and Strategic Initiatives will serve as a member of the President’s leadership team and provide informed, data-based input in decision making on educational policy, academic programs and academic life.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Establish and provide leadership in the execution of sound educational policy at the University and assume primary responsibility for academic planning, implementing, coordinating and evaluating academic programs.
- Collaborate with the College Deans and provide managerial oversight in functions related to curriculum and instruction, faculty selection, development and retention.
- Develop, monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the strategic plan for academic life at the University.
- Collaborate with Leadership Team in developing, monitoring and evaluating an institutional retention plan.
- Provide leadership and vision for innovative program development and implementation.
- Foster an intellectual environment and encourage and support student achievement and success, scholarship and excellence in teaching and learning.
- Provide leadership in the development and implementation of technology as a critical tool in innovative teaching and learning.
- Collaborate with the College Deans and the Vice President for Business and Finance in budget development and management for academic programs.
- Collaborate with the College Deans to insure quality instruction and the development and support of quality faculty
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The Vice President for Academic Affairs and Strategic Initiatives will possess a keen understanding of the current and salient issues in modern American higher education with a knowledge and appreciation for the challenges and opportunities facing students of colors and historically black colleges and universities. The incumbent will possess excellent oral, written communications and research skills and a record of scholarly activity and interests.
- Doctorate degree in Education or a discipline in the Liberal Arts
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience in higher education related industry, colleges, or universities in a leadership position.
- MS Word, Excel required; Database management
- Excellent oral, written, communication and research skills
Founded in 1856, Wilberforce University is America’s first private, coeducational University established to educated men and women of African descent; and is closely affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church. Today, Wilberforce is a well-respected private, residential liberal arts university with a clear mission, core values and vision for the future and is a noted pioneer in the Co-Operative Education Movement.
Wilberforce awards the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in the areas of business, engineering and computing science, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences; as well as the Master of Rehabilitation Counseling degree. The University is located in Wilberforce, Ohio, a community readily accessible to the Dayton, Cincinnati and Columbus metropolitan centers’ social, professional and cultural amenities and airports.
Wilberforce University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply:
To apply for the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Strategic Initiatives position, use the “Quick Apply/Submit Resume” button below to submit your information, cover letter and resume to the Wilberforce University Department of Administration and Human Resources.